Image Map

Friday, January 13, 2012

Cereal Box Wreath

Like many of you, I'm sure, this year my husband and I made a resolution to set budgets and save money. So I have a craft budget. It really limits me on how many crafts I can get done. But sometimes, if you think outside of the BOX, you can use things to craft with around your own house...and then it's free!

I have 2 birthdays coming up so of course I have to be frugal about the decor. By daughter's birthday is going to be in a bakery, so there really doesn't need to be a lot of extra stuff, but I can't leave it at that. 

Today I made a beautiful wreath out of a cereal box. It's going to be used at my little girl's birthday! That's right...Cinnamon Toast Crunch.


Ohhhh, yeah. I was pretty pleased with myself. And my husband will be pleased to know it didn't cost an extra penny that we didn't already spend.

And I'll show you how...so you can please your husband, too :)


1. Cut off the big sides of the box. Cut the flaps off too (my flaps are still on in this picture). 


2.  Grab something large & circular. This will determine how big your wreath is. I grabbed my old skillet. Trace half on one piece of the box and half on the other side. Cut out the 2 half circles.


3. This is what you should have so far.


4. Next, grab a smaller circular object. This will determine how big the inside of your wreath will be. Trace half the circle on one of the half circles. Repeat on the other piece of board.



5.  Tape the 2 half circles together. I used sturdier packaging tape.


Your wreath frame is done! Now on to the flowers:

1. Cut or rip pieces of crepe paper to be somewhere around 24 inches in length.


2. To make the flower, grab a strip of crepe paper and scrunch it up.


3. Unscrunch it. Tie a knot in the end. Be careful not to pull on it too tight or it'll rip (learned from experience). This knot will be the center of the flower.


4. Start twisting the crepe paper while simultaneously wrapping it around the knot. As you go, make little dots with your glue so that it stays (I used hot glue).


5. Glue the flowers onto your wreath frame. After I was done, I also added some craft pearls for a little extra pizzazz. 



And there you have it...a cereal box wreath! Have fun with the extra money :)

Sharing here: Tatertots & Jello, Be Different, Act Normal, Pockets Full of Pink, Flamingo ToesI Heart Naptime, Mommy by Day, Crafter by Night, Not Just a Housewife, Serendipity and Spice, Lil Luna, Sew Woodsey, It's Overflowing, 36th Avenue, Gluesticks, Fireflies & Jellybeans, The Blue Mason Jar,




13 comments:

  1. Very cute and love that you used a cereal box for the wreath part. Such a great idea!! I would love you to come link up to my Friday Frolic party!
    http://www.karismaheartsavannah.blogspot.com/2012/01/friday-frolic-9.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea! And it looks fantastic! LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute!
    I'm hosting a winter theme linky party and would love it if you'd link up!
    www.serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

    -Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful!! I LOVE it to pieces!!! The delicate roses are amazing! Did it take forever!?! I'm totally glad to be bloggy friends with you! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I'm your newest follower. Stop by www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com and check me out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so darn cute! Even if I don't make a wreath, it's great to know how to make those pretty flowers. I saw your post over at "Sugar Bee Crafts".

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I'm a new GFC and Linky follower to you! This wreath is as Cute as can be! too sweet! thanks for sharing your idea!
    JoAnn
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What! Lol. That is awesome. I love upcycling!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!!