Image Map

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fried Chicken & 2012

Hello! Happy New Year!! I'm so excited for this year. I have 2 birthday parties coming up soon: my baby girl's 1st birthday and my son's 3rd birthday. I am also re-opening my Etsy store. There are lots of fun things that will be happening soon!

As I stated in my last post, my husband and I celebrated 5 years together on Dec 29th. We were going out on a date the next night so I asked him what he wanted for dinner on the actual day of our anniversary. He wanted some fondue (he lived in Switzerland for 2 years) and fried chicken. A little random, but tasty.

I have NEVER had good luck with fried chicken. My crusty skins would always fall off. Crusty skin is the whole reason you eat fried chicken!

I looked on Pinterest for a good fried chicken recipe and found one by Paula Deen. Just LOOK at how my chicken turned out:


The crusty, delicious skins are still intact! And it was soooo easy! I was so happy with how they looked. However, once my husband and I took a bite, we were assulted with an overwhelming salt taste. The recipe calls for WAY too much salt, in my opinion. 


Here is the recipe. I highly suggest using a lot less salt. But other than that, Paula Deen didn't disappoint. Try it out:

Ingredients

 3 eggs
1/3 cup water
About 1 cup hot red pepper sauce
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon pepper
House seasoning, recipe follows
1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil

Directions

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning {HERE is where you should be very cautious! Not too much House Seasoning!}. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.

Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt 

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

 SOURCE: Food Network

Sharing here: 33 Shades of Green Mommy by Day Crafter by Night






1 comment:

I love comments!!